Legends will NEVER knock on your door unannounced to upgrade your system.
This is not a scare tactic, this is really happening. In the last week we have received 3 calls from homeowners in the Columbia, SC area asking if we sent someone to their home for a Security System check or Upgrade. One person had the person in their home when they called us! These door to door sales men do not work for Legends Security. Please, do not let them in your home.
Signs of a Home Security System Scam
Unscrupulous door-to-door sales agents use a variety of approaches and pitches to get you to buy an alarm system and monitoring services. Here's what to look out for:
- They may make a time-limited offer, and claim that you need to act now. For example, they may try to get you to sign a contract by telling you that the equipment is "free." More than likely, strings are attached. For example, to get your "free" alarm, you may have to sign a long-term and expensive system monitoring contract.
- They may pressure their way into your home and then refuse to leave. It is not impolite or rude to tell a salesperson you're not interested. It's much easier — and safer — to say "no" on the doorstep than to try to get the salesperson to leave once they're inside. If a salesperson continues to pressure you after you've asked them to leave, call the police.
- They may use scare tactics. For example, they may talk about a rash of supposed burglaries in your neighborhood.
Some door-to-door sales agents target homeowners who have signs on their properties for security systems with other companies. In these cases:
- The fakers may state or imply that they are from your existing security company and that they're there to "upgrade" or "replace" your current security system. Once inside your home, however, they may install a new security system and have you sign papers that include a costly contract for the monitoring service.
- They may claim your security company has gone out of business, that they've taken over the accounts, and that you have to buy new equipment and sign new contracts.
- They may know a lot about your system, they may know your name and phone number. But they are still scammers.
If any of these happen to you, call us immediately at (803) 788-1299 to notify us and to confirm. Please note, we at Legends will never just show up at your home with out scheduling with you first. As a small business, that is not very cost effective for us, for this reason we will ALWAYS call and schedule with you first.
Be safe. Never let a stranger in your home. If you ever feel unsafe call your local police department and report the person to them and ask for a neighborhood drive by. Your security is our ONLY priority here at Legends!